Who Regulates Trucking Companies in Canada?

 In Blog, Freight Brokers in Canada, Trucking Company Regulations in Canada

When it comes to certain industries, regulations are important to ensure that safety standards are met throughout the industry. This is true for the trucking industry, though regulations differ throughout North America.

Who Regulates Trucking Companies in Canada?

In Canada, the trucking industry is regulated by the federal government. The federal government requires that each trucking company must be compliant in their home province. However, each province also regulates their own highways and roadways. J&R Hall is compliant in each province where we operate.

Who Regulates Trucking Companies in the US?

The Department of Transportation (DOT) is the regulatory body in charge of the trucking industry in the US. In order to run a trucking company in the US, you must achieve Running Authority. To do so, you need a DOT number, Motor Carrier number and a DOT safety rating. The Motor Carrier number is administered by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). According to their safety rating, they will carry out onsite assessments, inspections and even investigate after an accident. After this, you’ll receive a rating of one of three levels: satisfactory, conditional and unsatisfactory.

Cross-Border Trucking Regulations

Many trucking companies travel across the border from Canada to the US and back. When crossing the border, trucks are subject to regulations set by US Customs and Border Protection (CBP), the Department of Homeland Security and Canada Border Services Agency. Truck drivers may receive pre-arrival clearance by submitting to an online portal each way. When entering the US, the portal is called ACE and Canada’s version is called ACI. ACE came into effect after the events of 9/11, and while it’s taken awhile to get there, the system is smooth and painless when the correct steps are taken.

J&R Hall’s Certifications

At J&R Hall, our trucks and drivers are certified under the Canadian Running Authority and the US Running Authority. We also have the following certifications:

  • CTPAT (Customs-Trade Partnership Against Terrorism)
  • PIP (Partners in Protection)
  • CVOR Excellent (Commercial Vehicle Operators Registration)
  • HR Canada top fleet
  • FAST (Free and Secure Trade for Commercial Vehicles)

J&R Hall has been in business for over 60 years. Learn more about us and what we can do to help with all of your LTL and FTL transportation needs!

Recommended Posts

Start typing and press Enter to search

J&R Hall TruckElectronic log device mandate FAQs from J&R Hall Transport